Wednesday, December 17, 2008

OBGYN....Are you kidding me???

So yesterday I had my annual with my OB. I was not exactly happy about it, but really who ever is? However, I was especially not happy with having to see him as he is the man that about a month ago told me the wonderful news of my reproducing future. I managed to calm myself, its routine, no biggie. I bring my book (Eclipse) I am totally addicted to the Twilight series by the way. And, I manage to make it through the almost 45 minute wait. It was also very comforting to be sitting in the room, waiting for him, while staring at the wall of the chart of how the baby grows after certain number of weeks...who cares????? (How was that sarcasm?) Anyway, he finally comes in and starts asking me the generic questions (How is work? How am I?) And, then says, so it says here in your chart that you are off BC..do you want to talk about that? What??? Of course I want to talk about it..I am angry and hurt and are you kidding me??? I then proceed to tell him that yeah, me and the DH had been to the RE last week and as soon as I say DH's name it hits him. Oh my how could he have forgotten?? I mean seriously what does it take 5 seconds to check my chart and see that I was here less than a month ago???? He feels awful at this point because for some unknown reason I break into hysterics. Really it was like I was 5 years old and just fell off my bike. I can't stop. He takes my hand and tells me everything will be okay. Then he proceeds to tell me that DH and I should really consider donor sperm. It is the most cost effective and will reek less havoc on both of us. And, from what he sees he thinks this or adoption are our only options. WTF!!!!!! That's what I say. You didn't even remember who I was do you honestly think that I am going to listen to anything that you say? You sir are no expert!! You couldn't even look at my chart before talking to me. In his defense I know that he sees a lot of patients and he just thought this was routine, but I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I left there soooo upset. He apologized like crazy...but I still couldn't realx. I got in the car, called DH, and had another what I can only describe as an anxiety attack. I couldn't breathe, I was hysterical crying and screaming. Did I over re-act? I have a tendency to do that.

4 comments:

Jendeis said...

I'm so sorry, sweetie. Most people do not know how to speak to those dealing with infertility. Unfortunately, that includes people who really should know better.

(((Big Hugs)))

Leslee said...

Oh, Dear. Unfortunately, your doctor's mistake is a common one, even among the best. I'm sorry that you went through this. I bet he'll be more thorough reading patients charts beforehand from now on!

Leslee
babyattheend

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds like an awful appointment! My OBGYN did the exact same thing, like it's no big deal to give up your dreams of a bio-child with your husband.

Don't worry that you over-reacted. Last year I went to a chiropractor and he asked me how I was doing and I completely fell apart, sobbing. Same thing at the dentist when they told me I need braces and surgery. Caregivers and doctors SHOULD be able to react to our emotions with grace and empathy.

Keep on exploring all of your options, you can only do what's right for you!

Spacey said...

Hi,
Sorry to barge in here, but I just wanted to say that you OBGYN was very unprofessional. I'm not sure how far in your diagnosis process you are, but if you are just at the beginning, for him to suggest that the only option is a donor or adoption is very uneducated and premature. There are many options out there.
My DH was diagnosed with azoospermia as well and we are currently going through the journey of clearly pin-pointing the type and cause. I keep a blog as well but t's password protected and if you are ever interesting in reading it just let me know.
**hugs**