Friday, April 3, 2009

Rainy Day...

Sadly, there is not too much going on. I have an appt on Monday (Post-Op) with my RE and I am really looking forward to it. I am hoping that he will give me the start date for my BCP's. YEAH!! I just really want to get going now. However, my firm belief that everything happens for a reason is certainly showing to be true as I have been cheating with my non-smoking. BOO!!!Obviously someone/something up there is trying to help me cut this before we start. I feel like such an a*s because I want to be as healthy as possible for a successful IVF cycle and with spending all that $$ but the stupid nicotine just won't leave me alone. I spoke to DH about it last night and decided that I am going to start using the gum. I am okay with this. I do not feel like a weak person; I had just really wanted to do it without anything but its okay. I also made a decision to start working out again. I have definitely put on some pounds since the start of our IF journey. I am not overweight (at least I don't think *smile*) But, I figure becoming a bit more tone would be helpful overall. I also saw that acupuncture can be helpful in a successful cycle...has anyone done this and if so did you think it worked and did it hurt? :0)

9 comments:

Jendeis said...

I don't think using the gum is about being weak. I think it's being strong because it takes a strong person to know when they need help.

Obviously, I can't speak about acupuncture and a positive cycle, but I have done it several times and find it immensely helpful for lessening my anxieties and helping my feel inner strength. It doesn't hurt at all. :)

Anonymous said...

I am loving acupuncture. I can't say if it "worked" yet, but it is so relaxing. The only needles that have hurt have been the ones in the ears, but only for a few moments. I'd highly recommend it! Good luck with the gum.

awa.ke in the wor.ld said...

Awa.ke in the wo.rld has a new blog at http://becomingwhole.wordpress.com/. Explanations and updates will be forthcoming.

Felicia said...

Do not dare think of yourself as weak. Choosing to fight the smoking fight makes you stronger than you think. The one think I have noticed over the years is that those who quit smoking for good used some sort of assistance either gum, patch or medication. We underestimate how hard it is to quit and it takes a strong person to decide to take that step.

Spacey said...

I hope your appointment goes well on Monday and everything will be in line with moving along. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the other ladies about the gum. You should do whatever you can to get you through the hard time and kick the smoking. Good luck to you - it must be SO hard.

Good luck at your follow up appointment!

G said...

I just found your blog today and wanted to say good luck! I'm glad your surgery went well and had a successful MESA.

Good luck at your appt!

Erica said...

I LOVE acupuncture! I can't tell you that it's worked for me...yet. But, I'm freaking hoping!!! Certain points can pinch for like a second, but then it subsides. I find it really helpful to find a spot on the ceiling and focus all my attention there while he puts the needles in. At this point, I've got like 30 of them around my body, in my ears, feet, near the uterus...it's kinda cool! I've felt much calmer this cycle and I have more energy which is always a good thing. If you want some more information on this "eastern medicine" approach, check out the book The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis. What a great book! The Chinese believe that everything with IF is connected - body, mind, spirit - and it discusses what can be done for each of these areas.

Lots of luck with your decision. I really think you should do it. It can help with the nicotine addiction too! :)

Clare said...

Hi Melissa,

Im so glad I found your blog. My hubbie also has a number of problems with his sperm but things are actually improving with acupuncture. I have acupuncture too and find it amazing. When the needle goes in its not painful, but if you have a blockage of qi there is pain as the needle vibrates but it wears off as the blockage clears. It's definitely worth it - and you have nothing to lose by trying it.
Btw, I'm a newbie blogger telling my frustrating TTC story to the world too!
I hope you have good news soon!